Sunday, January 16, 2005

The Red Bluff Bull Sale, I spent a week there one night.

Ah January, it ushers in the new year and all the events that come with a new start. The new year's resolutions that by this time of the month have become new year's suggestions. The promise to start this project, or finish that one. January is full of lists, promises, and for me the Red Bluff Bull and Gelding Sale.

I have been going to the bull sale for twenty years or so, more if you count the times I went with my father when I was a boy. For Muslims it's a pilgrimage to Meca, to Christians it's a trip to the Holy land, to Cowboys, well to Cowboys there is nothing quite like The Palomino Room on Friday night of the bull sale. In my younger and wilder days, I would show up on Thursday of bull sale week with nothing more than my bedroll and 100 dollars spending money and come home broke on Sunday with a smile on my face that would last for a month. No hotels rooms, no warm showers, just a bedroll in the horse shavings and cold hose to wash the hangover away. Ah the good ol' bad ol' days.

About ten years ago, I brought a friend with me to the bull sale. We had a blast and the next year , we invited about two or three more, this year I bet half of Yolo County will be there. I bought a Brangus Bull up there two years ago, and I believe that is the only animal I have purchased. In the past I have made a point to leave the Gelding Sale long before I was intoxicated enough to bid on a $20,000 horse. It truly is a cowboy's paradise. You can purchase a finished bridle horse, a fantastic stock dog, and a range ready bull for $50,000 or just walk through all the exhibitors, watch the horses work and talk to some great people and never spend a dime.

If you have been to the sale, please post a comment.

No comments: