Friday, April 22, 2005

Best feed year ever, now if I only had some land.....

The heat of the oversized BBQ was scorching the hair off my arms as I cooked tri-tip roasts for the Glen-Colusa-Yolo cattlemens event at a Hamblet Ranch just south of Dunnigan. I didn't mind a bit, in fact I had a great time. Around 80 people attended the field day to discuss the various ways to work with State and Federal government agencies to improve conservation and rangeland habitat. Agencies presenting information to ranchers and land owners were from the NRCS, the RCD and UCCE. Having once ran cattle on large ranches in the area I was a bit sad that I could not take advantage of the experience and resources that are available. I am limited to my own small 27 acres of irrigated pasture. Although I do not feed off my pastures and always leave the edges of my fields for the local pheasants and other critters that need a place to nest. I guess if you have a quarter acre back yard in the city or 10,000 acres of grass and oaks, we can all do something.

1 comment:

juliemarg said...

Hey Yolo Cowboy

I'm thinking that you should be a part of the Bear Flag League. Follow the links on my site and you'll find a few like minded people.