Thursday, October 26, 2006

A long time forgotten.

A long time forgotten, the dreams that fell by the way.

Do you have dreams that fell by the way? I do. I believe we all do. Some silly, some unbelievably unattainable, some that would have been fun to experience, some that would have ended tragically because deep down we are still the imperfect beings that we are.

I had the good fortune of having my friend Larry go with us on our last hunting trip. Larry is in his late 70's and is retired from a career in law enforcement and a stint in the army. Larry had lived his life, he will not be getting the cleaning deposit back when he is through with it. After a day of hunting in the mountains, we would sit back around the campfire, having an adult beverage and swapping stories. I asked Larry if he had any regrets, or an opportunity that he passed on that he now wishes he had taken. He told us that he had an opportunity to be a game warden in the area where we were now hunting, Modoc County, he said he thought that would have been great. He also said that you never can tell how things might have worked out. All in all, he had no regrets.

I remember one piece of wisdom Larry gave my friend Dan. They were deer hunting and they had both killed nice bucks the same day. That night as they watched the sun set, Dan was saying what a perfect day they had, Larry agreed and then said that too many people spend their lives trying to relive that day or time in their life and are miserable as a result. I thought about it and I agree.

I remember going to the Stonyford Rodeo as a young man. Not that I went to the rodeo mind you, I have only watched it once in the six or seven trips I have made. The Stonyford Rodeo was just an excuse to spend the weekend at East Park Reservoir, camping with my drunken friends. The first few times I had a fantastic time, at least the parts that I can remember. The last time I went, the crowd had changed, it was younger and probably just as loud and obnoxious as we were at that age. I havenÂ’t been there in years, if I do go back it will be for the rodeo. The point is, you can spend years chasing your youth. Drinking yourself into a stupor in your 20's is dumb, doing it in your 30's is ridiculous and sad. If you're over 40 and still drinking yourself into a stupor, brother, you have problems and need real help and fast.

I enjoy the good times as they come. I just don't need the sensory stimulation of being in the front row at a Van Halen concert. I get a great feeling watching my children grow and experience things for the first time. A party in the back yard with my friends or spending a day hunting with son is wonderful. I also enjoy a beautiful sunset, or just a quiet time alone in prayer. My idea of a good time has changed over the years.

Well, maybe one more Van Halen concert, if they ever bring back David Lee Roth.

No comments: