Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My mail box is getting full.

Is it just me or is everyone sending voter guides and mailers to every living human with a mail box?

I know a few folks running for office this year and the amount of money it takes to run a congressional campaign is staggering. I often wonder if the mailers and the yard signs are products of habit. That's what you do when you run for office, you mail unsolicited cards to registered voters and put up yard signs. Habit.

I know name recognition is a big part of the game with most of the electorate. If they know your name you have a huge leg up on your opponent, unless your name happens to be Mark Foley.

Why not spend an evening at every volunteer firehouse, school, senior center and taco truck in your district. Sure you are going to get the one or two moonbats at every event. But I would spend time in every place that holds more than 20 people at least three nights a week until the people are sick of seeing you in their town. The may get tired of you, but I bet they will know your name and know you position on the issues.

I know its easier to mail out glossy card stock pamphlets and pound in a few hundred yard signs, but how does that make you any different that the guy you are running against? Gas is getting cheaper, two dozen donuts and a pot of coffee don't cost much and talking is free. Meeting with the chamber of commerce in a town or city is great, but I would ask those folks to hold an 'ask your candidate' night at their home or local fire station. Answer the dumb questions, but get people thinking about one man or woman. The person they vote for. If they have met that one person, they may feel connected to their government just a little bit more. That is the first step.

When they start asking what you can do for them, answer like Ronald Reagan "I can't do a damn thing for you if I don't get elected".

No comments: