Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Small group leader, what was I thinking?

Have you ever thought about doing something you really should do, but always chickened out? I have thought about being a small group leader in church Bible study ministry for years. Well its too late to turn back now. I have 10 people who signed up to meet once a week at my home to participate in the 40 Days of Community small group study.

The reason for my poultry-like behavior is my feeling of being completely unqualified. I go to church almost every weekend, participate in our mens group and I have been a lay pastor for a two years. I have been asked to perform the wedding ceremonies for two of my friends and a funeral service for a friend's father, yet I still don't consider myself a worthy Christian by any means. I am just a man who is trying to shut up and listen to what God has in store for me. So why did I sign up to lead a small group?

God uses broken people. In that department, I am over qualified.

We are using Rick Warren's program for our study, I watched the group leader DVD last night and I came away feeling relieved and exited. We are going to have a great time, make some new friends, learn about God's purpose for each of us and for our church. We will also pick a group community service project to complete.

I have to make sure the kids clean their rooms and be sure the dishes are done for six Thursdays nights, but the payoff could be life changing for me or anyone in our group.

Six night of watching television or six nights of making our community and ourselves better, that choice is easy.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Good for you! You'll love it, and PDL is an easy way to get started. I'd love to have you visit my website for small group leaders at www.whydidntyouwarnme.com. If you get stuck, post a question! Blessings.
Pat

Frank Chiapperino said...

Hopefully your group has been going well and you will continue to have a great experience. Grats!