Wednesday, March 04, 2009

And now for something completely different

Having been up to my eyeballs in politics for the past few weeks, I am taking a night off to write about, well I am not sure. Think of this as free-form jazz or string of consciousness writing, or just plain rambling.

I have cut out most of the sugar and carbs from my diet for 6 months; I have lost 40 pounds, but I might have to do bodily harm to someone if I don't have pancakes soon.

I am getting better at guitar because of my bass playing, learning the fretboard takes time you know. I am finding country songs much easier to play than rock and metal. My daughter caught me playing Taylor Swift the other day because it's an easy song. I don't even like Taylor Swift, she looks like she needs some cheesecake.

The rain has been great but I could use a break to spray the weeds in my ditches and around the barn. This weekend may give me the chance.

Do you ever wonder why there is such dispairty in the meaning of the word 'clean' between parents and children? As in, "is your room clean?"

The 'new and improved' Capay Valley Almond Blossom Festival is coming to our area on March 15th. The almond festival has been the last Sunday in February since anyone can remember, but it seems people smarter than I am feel the need to move the date, even though the blossoms are falling to the ground as I write this. Progress? I'm not so sure.

I want a motorcycle. There, I said it, and I feel much better now. Chuckle if you will, but back in the day, I used to ride everywhere on my Katana 750. I am way too old for a 'crotch rocket' now, but cruising around on a Harley would be cool. I may just sell my 76' CJ-7 Jeep and see if I can find a screaming deal.

Toaster ovens suck.

I am making headway on the pile of books by my bedside. With my Bible Study reading and all the different meetings I have been attending, I haven't had much time to finish 'An Army at Dawn." It's the story of the African campaign in WWII. It's a great book, I have to finish it. Then it's on to 'Wild at Heart' a men's ministry book. I still have 'Andrew Jackson- American Lion' to read, but my friend Dan has it right now.

It is time to go shooting. I have spent a few rainy days reloading pistol ammunition this winter and it's about time to make some noise and smell the gunpowder burning. I may ask my neighbor if I can take a 5 gallon bucket of his oranges laying on the ground under the trees and head up to my friend's ranch. Rolling oranges down hill and shooting them with a 44 magnum is great fun. If this seems odd to you, don't worry, its a guy thing. If you are a guy and this doesn't sound appealing, you should worry. Email me and we will schedule an intervention, guys should like to doing guy things. Blowing the crap out of oranges with large caliber pistols is in the top three percentile of 'guy things.'

Speaking of bedsides, that is where I am heading.
Goodnight, and God bless Yolo County.

No comments: