Saturday, July 16, 2005

A cowboy in San Francisco

First of all, it's hot. The forecast is for 106 today, so the family and I are heading to the City for the day. I love San Francisco. It is truly one of America's most beautiful cities. The people tend to run from one extreme to the other, and some which defy classification. But I don't let the nut-jobs ruin my time there. We are heading to the Baker Beach, Golden Gate Park and then to Union Square for some shopping. We may hit Pier 39 to watch the Sea Lions, it's my daughter's favorite.

Some of my rural friends give me strange looks when I tell them about going to the city. I think they are intimidated by the liberal people and the very prominent gay scene. I know what areas to stay out of, and that helps. I have explained the gay lifestyle to my son, so he understands what going on when he sees two men walking down the street hand in hand. I just don't want to explain what is going on at the S&M parade. So we steer clear of the Mission district.

I hope we don't get caught in traffic as folks from the valley head to anywhere cool to escape the 6th day over 100 degrees.

No comments: