Monday, July 25, 2005

Wasting time with God.

In a sermon series at my church, appropriately named "wasting time with God" I have discovered a very interesting phenomenon. The more quiet I am, the more I am open to God. I know that some of you out there will scoff at this, thinking that this guy actually believes he talks to God, what a loon.

One of our pastors gave us a challenge, find the smallest, darkest room in the house, the one without windows or any other distracting items in it, and stay there alone for 30 minutes. Don't bring a Bible or book, and don't have a radio or TV within earshot, you may even want to bring a fan or something that can generate some white noise. When you know you will not be disturbed for 30 minutes, close the door and start listening. Don't think about what's for dinner, or if you need to pay the light bill tomorrow, just be still and listen. Set a timer outside the room and don't check to see how long you have every minute or two.

Time will creep by. You may want to try 15 minutes first.

Jesus did this many times throughout the new testament. He went out alone to pray, or went inside a room alone. You will find it somewhat uncomfortable at first, most people don't spend much time being quiet and still. You may start thinking about God's purpose for you or a problem you have been wrestling with may start to unravel, but the main goal is just to be in the presence of God.

My days have been exceptionally hectic the past two weeks, I am starting a new job Monday, my son's birthday was this past weekend, and I am trying to wrap up all my projects at my current job. I have not made much time for God the past two weeks. I have been to Church, but that is not the same as spending time or 'wasting time' with the Lord. I would be embarrassed to tell you how much television I have watched, or how much time I spent doing things that are not very important. I have not chosen to spend time with God. With all the things happening in my life right now, I can't think of a better way to spend my time than 'wasting it' with God.

1 comment:

Peter Sean said...

Interesting experiment.

You might, though, think about structuring the time by saying a prayer, maybe the Lord's Prayer, which you could intersperse with some meditation on the significant moments in our Lord's ministry. If you were even bolder you might augment the meditative effect of wasting time with God by reciting some scriptural texts, such as Luke 1:46 - 55. ;-)