Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Meanwhile, back at my moral dilemma.

I have an unpleasant conversation coming with my manager tomorrow. I have been at my present job for two weeks now. I like the people, I like my manager, and the job is going well, but tomorrow I will give notice that I am resigning effective August first.

When I decided that I would look for a new job, I put in two applications for different jobs in the public sector. One with the County and one with the University. I interviewed for both positions and both interviews went well I thought. My current employer, the County, offered me a position and since I had not yet heard from the University, I accepted my current job. I was very surprised when I received the job offer from the University this week.

My reasons for choosing to work for the University is not really about money, it is more about the environment and the ability to move forward. Working at the University on the farm is where I am most comfortable and is what I love to do. My opportunities for upward mobility are greater at the University by a factor of 10.

This decision has not been an easy one. I know that I will be putting my manager in a tight spot until they fill my position, I also know that they interviewed other candidates for my job and I hope they will find a replacement soon. I feel terrible about leaving, but if I must leave, I am relieved that the County did not invest a lot of time and money into my training.

I cannot help feeling like I am running out on a marriage because I found a prettier girlfriend. At least I can call this an annulment.

No comments: