Saturday, January 27, 2007

Bull sale report

I am home, alive, sleep deprived, a few dollars lighter and still married!

After three days in Red bluff, I am glad to be home. I was happy to hit the on ramp to I-5 South, taking my wife and I back towards Esparto. We arrived at the fairgrounds in Red Bluff on Thursday to take in the sights and sounds of the Bull Sale. Some highlights;

The top working cow dog was purchased on Friday afternoon for a whopping $23,000! It was a great cow dog to be sure, but for that kind of money I want it to work cows, fix the fuel pump on my truck and do my taxes. The top gelding brought just shy of $30,000, while the average was around $6,000. The bulls sold today and I didn't arrive early enough to get a seat but I just heard that the prices were not down significantly even though all the cattlemen in California need rain in a bad way right now.

In case you are wondering what the two lovely bar maids in the picture have to do with a livestock sale,,,,um,,, that's a good question. A trip to the Palomino Room is essential to getting the full bull sale experience. Friday night was a blast. All three bars inside including the one upstairs were six deep and the dance floor was so crowded that it resembled a Carhartt clad mosh pit at times. The band Shilo was playing upstairs, but our gang stayed down on the main floor with the DJ. I am not sure how Toby Keith, AC/DC and Tone Loc go together, but everyone danced and had a great time.

My wife loves to dance and I tried not to get to out of hand. I kept remembering the scene in "Hitch" when he is explaining the rules of dancing; hands at your sides, feet shuffle back and forth, this home, this where you live, you don't leave home. Well, I left home when the played AC/DC, there is no stopping me when I hear that music, just stand back and watch your toes.

In the end I bought a new snaffle bit, a couple of bull sale hats and had enough fun for six people.

I can't wait for next year, or at least untill April when the Red Bluff Roundup starts. It is one one the best rodeos on the west coast.

No comments: