Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The driest January on record, good for golfers, bad for ranchers

I am not sure how the weather is in Lusaka, Zambia, where one my regular readers lives, but here in Northern California, we need rain. The clear cold weather was fine for a while, but the deep freeze a few weeks ago hit the citrus farmers hard, and now I guess its the livestock industry's turn. This is shaping up to be the driest January on record, which would be ok, if we had a wet fall, but we didn't. The grass in the hills is short and the water holes and stock reservoirs are drying up. Some ranchers are hauling water and hay into the hills to keep their cattle from loosing any more weight. These are added expenses that will take most, if not all the profit from the calves at sale time this spring.

El Nino is a tricky thing, sometimes we get a dry winter and a warm and wet spring. I am hoping for the second part of the equation to get here. The problem with the El Nino rains in the spring is they can come in waves, one after the other, and that can mean flooding. So I guess I will look back at this post when I am bailing out my kitchen in March and remember fondly the dryness of January.

No comments: