Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I am way to old for full court basketball

Saturday night my son wanted me to drive into town to go to the open gym night at the fairgrounds. He said it was open to anyone from his school including the parents. I said I would take him and dug out my old nikes from the closet and put on a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt and a my old sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off. I was ready to ball, baby.

"You look like a homeless guy" my smarty pants son said.
"Shut up, or you can walk to Woodland" was my loving response.

I watched the first game or two then decided that I could guard a few of the smaller 8th graders, so I joined in.

Big mistake.

If, like me, you have not played a game of full court basketball in a while, say two years, you may want to ease into the game. Not me. I'm tough, I can keep up with these kids.

In six or seven minutes I was gassed. I was feeling light headed and my lungs were screaming at me to stop. My knees were complaining loudly too.

I waited an hour and played another five minute stretch and that was it for me.

Way, way to old and out of shape for this stuff.

No comments: