Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Faith in the next generation? You bet.

I often complain about the twenty-something knuckleheads I see on the news and around Davis. The Birkenstock and cargo short crowd with an 'Impeach Bush!' bumper sticker on their Prius. Sometimes they bring me to the conclusion that the I-Pod/Gamer generation is going to be a drain on our nation. Contributing nothing meaningful to our society, just learning more effective ways to bitch about what is wrong with America.

Then I come across a story like this.
Crystal admits she wasn't thrilled with Brian's decision to join the military. When he first told her, she threatened to end the relationship. But the threat was half-hearted.

"I know if we hadn't stayed together I would have really regretted it," she said.

So Crystal married her high school sweetheart, vowing to support his decision.

Brian is expected to return from Iraq in September...

Stephanie Jaime also is expecting her husband back in the fall. David Jaime is a corporal in the Marines and has been in Iraq for three months....

The husband and wife, both 20, have been married for two years. They have a 2-year-old son, Jonathan, and Stephanie is expecting a second child in October.

She worries her husband is missing many of their son's milestones. Trying to explain to Jonathan why his father is away is the most difficult part of being separated, Stephanie said.

"I just tell him Daddy's at work; he's fighting the bad guys," she said.
These two average women, bearing a burden that we can little understand, make me feel as though our nation will continue to hold on to the basic principals that make it what it is.

I wish nothing but the best for Crystal Fowell and Stephanie Jaime. I will pray for their husbands safe return and think about how silly I am to complain about my small little problems. These two families are what is right and good in America.

No comments: