Saturday, August 26, 2006

The perils of alcohol and amphibians.

As many readers and friends know, I don't drink much anymore. One of my friends always hits me with the comeback, yea I don't drink any more, but I don't drink any less either.

This guy
should defiantly never touch another drop. He isn't very good at it.
Cambodian Buddhist monk who stripped naked and raced through suburban streets after a heavy night of drinking rice wine laced with toads has been asked to leave the monkhood.
While I never streaked through town hammered on toad-spiked wine, I did do some stupid things. There was never an event that forced me to quit, I didn't get busted for DUI or get drunk and scream at my wife one night, I think it was my children. The thought of my children seeing me in a drunken state terrifies me. If I do have a drink now, it might be a Corona at a Mexican food restaurant, or one beer at the Junction on a Friday night. I should give that up as well.

I don't tell you this to get an 'ata boy' from you or to think of myself as somehow superior, it's just I have seen first hand how much damage alcohol can do to people who drink and those around them. I try to tell anyone who will listen that it's the people at the party that make it fun, not the alcohol, I can have just as much fun as they do drinking water or soda. The benefits are many. I don't feel like hammered dog poop the next morning, I still have that 50 dollar bill in my wallet, and I didn't make an ass out of myself. Well, in my case I still can make a fool out of myself sober, so maybe that one is a push.

It may be hard at first, the peer pressure is tremendous, even as an adult. C'mon man, have a drink, I'm buying. C'mon just one more. C'mon man, what are you, a wuss? I have heard it all. I just smile and, nope, I'm just fine. Usually I say, hey let me drive you home. If I do go to a party or to the Junction, I am the designated driver.

I have friends who don't drink, and at times that is an easier crowd to be around, but I have all kinds of friends. I try not to beat them over the head with my moderation-abstinence speeches. I try to lead by example. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fail.

1 comment:

Major Combs said...

I haven't had a drink containing alcohol in over twelve years, and I wish I had quit sooner. I never had a hangover, never missed work, but I never paid enough attention to what other people were saying. Now I listen a lot, and understand much more. And the parties are more fun.