Saturday, June 09, 2007

Sunburt and tired

One of the things I do not look forward to is the summer irrigation season. It is one thing when you are at home all day and can check your progress, but when you work full time it gets a little frantic. I must admit that this year I am way late getting irrigation started, trying to decide whether to put the pasture up for hay or have my neighbor feed it off made me late this year.

The ground is dry and the cracks in the clay go down deep. The water takes a long time to fill up all the cracks, so the water on the surface doesn't seem to move at all. It is slow but the pasture will comeback green in a week or so and the next time the water will flow much faster and I will be done in about two thirds the time.

I went out this morning and forgot my sunscreen. My face, neck and arms are now the color of a Maine lobster when it comes out of the pot.

If you see me in church tomorrow it will be easy to recognize me, a big guy in a Hawaiian shirt and wranglers who looks like he just came back from a vacation on the sun.

No comments: