Saturday, October 23, 2004

Was I this bad when Clinton was in office?

Cruising through some random blogs last night I found a few that fascinate me. One guy can not write the word Republican, he uses Republuicscum. The war was thought up by Haliburton, Bush is Hitler. Nice.
There are a few others that made me laugh, and also made me wonder if I sounded this bad during the Clinton years. I don't think I was as hateful and vindictive as these folks seem to be. Sure I find a few right-wing bloggers who could use a sedative and some anger management classes, but nothing like the number of lefties out there.

During the Clinton administration, I was more upset by the main stream media than Bill Clinton. The bias that they showed toward the democrats was astonishing. If nothing else, the media bias drove people to talk radio and the internet in droves. I listened to Rush when he was right here at Sacramento's KFBK. I loved listening to Rush debate the Mayor of Davis once a week on the local television news, it was quite enjoyable. As Rush is fond of saying, liberals are the funniest when they are out of power. It is true, one look at the tenor of the left in this election will tell you how desperate they are. Their desperation drives them like an addict chasing down his dealer.

I still say that President Clinton was the best pure politician I have ever seen. However the nation does not need the best politician, it needs the best leader, and Bill Clinton for all his charm and warmth was not a good leader. He was a populist weathervane, what ever direction public opinion was blowing, that's where he was. A great strategy for being re-elected, a terrible strategy for leading a nation in a time of growing danger.

I confess that when Clinton won a second term, defeating Senator Bob Dole in the most inept campaign run in my lifetime, I did think this country would go down the tubes. It did not. The Clinton 90s were a great time for the market and for the tech sector, which in turn drove the market even higher. The problem was when the tech bubble burst, it left the market and the economy with a huge hangover. A hangover that was handed over to President Bush in 2001. I rode out the tech bubble with my company in Sacramento, we were 18 months or so behind the bay area in feeling the effects of the tech bust. As the tech companies were fighting to gain capital and marketshare, more that a few were cooking the books to show ever increasing profits. As long as the market kept rising and the stock prices rose, who wanted to investigate these cash cows? Who wanted to make waves? Certainly not the Clinton administration, not the Reno Justice department, not Rubins' or Summers' Treasury department. Nope, lets just slide on out of here and toss the keys to this mess to W and his crew.

It is my opinion that our system is broken, most Democrats and Republicans are addicted to the power and influence that is our political system. I fear without some type of change our electorate will become less involved, more apathetic and we will soon be at the mercy of just the ultra partisans. We may already be there. What will fix it? I don't know. Term limits? I am not sure. The problem is, as bad as our system is, it is still the best system in practice anywhere on the globe.

Encumbered by idoits, we pressed on........




No comments: