Sunday, February 20, 2005

Luke warm Christians

Jump in, the water is tepid!
Today's sermon from our pastor was very interesting and it was not easy to hear. It came from the book of Revelation , a book that I have not spent much time in. Revelation 3:14 is was a letter to the church in Laodicea. Wealthy, prosperous, and pretty full of themselves. Jesus was not impressed.

"I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot!"

Being a lukewarm Christian myself, this hit home. I used to believe that if I were pretty good, especially in comparison to those around me, I was in good shape. Not so. Since I became a Christian, that same mindset came back into my life. I think 'well, I am a pretty good Christian, I don't cheat on my wife or steal from my neighbors, isn't that enough?'
Like they say on the Hertz commercials, 'not exactly'.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me."
Our Pastor made a great reference to this passage. You may open the door and let the Lord in, but you may just leave him in the hallway. That's far enough, you can come in, but you just can't go into these rooms of my house, the room where I keep my money, the room where my friends meet, the room where I keep all my time.
It was a great message for me. I have invited Jesus into my heart, but I haven't given him the keys to all the rooms yet.

Prayer and practice I guess.
Prayer and practice.



No comments: