Friday, February 11, 2005

Raising Cristian Kids.

Last night my wife and I attended the award banquet for my son's 7th grade basketball team. The new principal of the school made a few comments about how hard it is for a small private school to compete athletically with the much larger public schools. The 7th grade team did not have enough players and gave a few 6th grade boys the chance to play. Most of the public schools have 50 to 90 players try out for their team. I was impressed with the heart of our team this year, our record was not very impressive, but our boys played every minute as hard as they could.

The principal also made another comment that stayed with me. He said that he was talking to the manager of a local supermarket about a different subject when the manager said that he has always been impressed with the quality of individuals that come from our school. Our principal was taken aback with the comment. The manager went on to say that if he finds out that a prospective employee graduated from our school that he knew he would have a hard working, polite and honest employee. The principal said that the managers comments were a reminder of what the faculty and staff of the school are really there to do. Getting their students ready for the world.

I agree that since most of our children's day is spent at school, the teachers and faculty play a large part in the development of our kids. However the parents must not come to the conclusion that since I am sending my child to a Christian school that they will teach them about morals and character. It does little to have a child spend the day learning about the proper way to behave only to come home to an environment where the parents are constantly arguing, sibling quarreling and TV blaring.

I see that as my son nears junior high, the peer pressure grows daily. The skater look is in right now, the lifestyle that the video games and magazines hold up as examples of great skaters is a little disturbing. My son received Tony Hawk-underground 2 for Christmas, I told him that I would not get it for him because of the 'tagging' and language in the video game. The game was a gift from his grandmother, so I let him keep it. I don't know if I made the right decision.

His friends are good kids, and in 6th grade they can't get in much trouble. I hope that the lessons that my wife and I try to teach him as well as the example we try to set for him will pay off when we are not around and he is faced with a situation that sounds really fun but he knows is wrong.

I made some good decisions when I was young, I also made some terrible mistakes. I know that both my children will be raised in a loving home with supportive parents, I just hope it will be enough.

No comments: