Thursday, February 17, 2005

Social Security tax cap, what's on the table?

President Bush today said that raising the cap on the amount of your income is subject to SS tax is on the table.

"I've been asked this question a lot, and my answer is that I'm interested in good ideas," Bush said, according to the Birmingham (Ala.) News. "The one thing I'm not open-minded about is raising the payroll tax rate, and all the other issues are on the table, and that's important for people to know."

If that is on the table, I would like to the democrats bring a few item to the table.
If the President agrees to raise the cap from 90,000 of income to, lets say 120,000. I want three things.

1 Personal Accounts, without these, there is no deal at all. I want the money that I have paid into SS, even the one third figure that is being thrown around, to belong to me. If I have paid 50 or $150,000 into SS and I die before I turn 65. I get zero! I have been robbed of that money, my children will not see a penny of it. Even if I live until age 72, SS will still have much more of my money than they gave back. A personal account that could be transferred to my children, in the event of an early death just makes sense.

2 Raise the amount of money I an contribute to my IRA, Roth IRA, SEP IRA or 401k by one half.
Make it easy for Americans to be savers.

3 Make the tax cuts permanent.

I will make that deal today.



No comments: