Sunday, July 22, 2007

Survivor golf and Mr. hurry up

I started my conditioning training today.


Gee I didn't know you were a runner Cowboy.


I'm not.


Then what are you training for?


Deer hunting season is a few weeks away.


Oh, so your getting in shape so you can kill Bambi? That's not very nice.


Did I ever claim I was 'nice'?


You probably did.


Well, I am nice, but I also hunt deer and upland birds.


Ok so what are doing for your training? Running, treadmill, spinning classes, Yoga?


Nope, golfing.


Golfing! that isn't even a real sport, just a bunch rich guys in ugly pants chasing a white ball around. How is riding around in a cart, drinking beer from the cart girl and putting going to get you in shape?


Here in Yolo County we play a different form of golf, it's called "survivor golf". If you ever watch that show where they drop this ex-special forces guy into the jungle and he tries to make it out, its like that, only much tougher.


Oh Cmon' its golf, how bad could it be?


You start out by dropping by the closest golf course near you on a weekend in July, our closest course is the new Wild Wings course. This was our first time there, it will be our last. But I digress, first you have to get a tee time about 2:30 pm when it's close to 100 degrees.


Ok, so its hot, so what?


I'm just getting started, after paying $15 each to walk 9 holes, I went out with my son who is just learning the game. With no driving range there is no way to work on your swing so you just head off to the first tee after doing a little practice putting on the putting green at the 'clubhouse'. The two golfers behind us were in a cart and had the look of folks who played well. I asked them to go out in front of us, I figured they would play much faster and I didn't want to hold them up. They said thanks and teed off. Then....


$15 isn't that bad to play a round of golf?


I have played all over California and I don't mind spending money on a nice course, I have shelled out $250 for a weekend in the Bay Area, but an afternoon rate of $15 to walk nine holes on a two year old course with no trees, no shade anywhere, brown fairways and no driving range is way too much. They know they have local golfers by the short hairs because there are not many places to play around Woodland, so they charge what they charge and people are willing to pay it. As much as I am a free-market guy, I still want to feel like I am getting what I pay for.


Oh quit crying, most of the grass was green right?


Yes, most of the grass was green, and the consistent high pitch yapping of the dog behind the fence at the 6th hole wasn't even that bad, I guess what really gets on my nerves is the other group of golfers who came up behind us on the first tee. After we let the first group of two go out in front of us, we waited for them to get out of range and we teed off. My son, who I said is just learning the game, topped his first two shots and was a total of 100 yards off the tee when the next group showed up. We were not piddling around, my son was walking up to the ball taking one practice swing and hitting the ball, badly it turns out, but were were not stopping to discuss swing tips, we were hitting the ball and walking. One of the group behinds us yelled out that we would have play 'a lot faster that that', I looked back and waved to him, choking back the urge to stomp back to the tee box and throw him into the water hazard, but I remained calm and told my son, just play your game, our $15 is the same color as his, if he wants to pretend he is Tiger Woods, he can join a country club and golf with people just as uptight as he is. My son laughed and his swing improved with each hole. We caught up to the golfers in front of us on a par three and we waited for the group behind us to finish and told them they could play through. Mr. Hurry up sheepishly thanked us and then hit his tee shot into the trap. I snuffed out a chuckle from my throat, and looked my son, he was smiling. My son bogeyed the last two holes and had shot at a couple of par puts, so all in all he did great.


Ok, so you were confronted by an inconsiderate jerk on the golf course, its no big deal.


Your right, its not a big deal, but I have been behind a lot of beginner golfers, young and old, and I remember how intimidating it was to be pressured by the group behind me. I always stop, take in the scenery and relax when there is a slower group in front of me. They have to learn too. I bet Mr. Hurry up was terrible his first ten times on a course, maybe he just forgot.


So you think walking 9 holes in 100 degree heat will get you in shape?


Well, round is a shape, right?

No comments: