Friday, January 27, 2006

The Red Bluff Bull and Gelding Sale 2006

Some folks get worked up when Le Mis comes to town, others when the Jazz festival hits Sacramento, and there are those who would sell their mother into indentured service for Superbowl tickets. I look forward every year to the last week in January, that is bull sale time.

I know, I know, what have you been smoking cowboy, who cares about a bull sale?
Red Bluff is a sleepy little town that holds a great event for anyone who likes horses, cattle or western culture. I would guess that Red Bluff's population is close to 15,000 people, I would also guess that during Bull Sale week, the population grows to around 20,000. Just trying to get a sprite at the Palomino Room on Friday night could take a half hour, but its a great time. The fire chief must plan his vacation that weekend because the bar and dance floor must be close to 180% capacity.

The Gelding sale is Friday night(tonight) and the Bulls sell Saturday morning. I don't know when the cow dogs sell, but the price for a trained dog can go upwards of $5,000. They sift through 150 horses to sell about 120 each year, prices will start around $3,000 and go as high as $30,000. Its a great place to buy a finished ranch horse that has had the once over about ten times by a team of veterinarians. The Bulls are some of the best in the west. I bought my Brangus bull there two years ago, and his calves are great.

I am heading up there tonight and will bring back a few pictures if I'm able.
Come look me up at the Palomino Room tonight, I will be the big guy drinking a sprite and having a great time.

1 comment:

Ralph said...

Now I know where you get your bull.