Sunday, September 21, 2008

I've been 'clinging to my Bible' for the past few days, boy are my arms tired.

I know for some of you out there, spending two days at a Christian musician's conference must mean I am one of those 'bitter people' who cling to their religion when I am not busy shooting up the countryside with my firearms. Well, one out of two isn't bad. I have not had a chance to do much shooting this year or I would be two-for-two.

Being around a few hundred talented musicians is a bit intimidating, especially when you play guitar as poorly as I do. Luckily for me, there are dozens of different breakout sessions each aimed at various disciplines, instruments, voice training, song writing and tech training. The Thriving Musician's Summit was held at Bayside Church in Granite Bay. Each morning starts out with a general worship session, Friday was Paul Bolache, Saturday morning we were treated to Jeffrey Scott. Both performances were special, first because they truly are wonderful musicians, secondly the audience response.

In a room with a hundreds of people who can actually sing, and they are singing their love for lord, the experience is nothing short of amazing.


Friday night they held a concert featuring Hillsong, and the CD release of Lincoln Brewsters' "Today is the day". If you don't know Lincoln's music, he is a fantastic guitar player. He played with Steve Perry from Journey in his wilder days, but now he plays with a different purpose, a much more important purpose. He still has wild hair.


I enjoyed every session I attended and met some wonderful people, a fellow from Oregon that I sat next to Friday morning, we spoke about the changing dynamics going on inside today's church and my 'adopt a church' idea that I am trying out here in Esparto. I had lunch the next day with and older pastor from Senora, we shared stories about writing, church denominations, children and life. Great conversations, great fellowship.

I came home Saturday evening with a notebook filled with pages of ideas, and more importantly, renewed and recharged, ready to serve.

No comments: