Thursday, May 12, 2005

Diana Griego Erwin resigns from the Sacramento Bee

I must admit that I was astonished to read this morning that DGE resigned from her Metro section column. The Bee's executive editor Rick Rodriguez said that the papers' own internal investigation found many people DGE identified in her stories did not exist.

'During our inquiry we found we could not authenticate the existence of several people even though they were identified by name, age and sometimes by the neighborhoods in which they were reported to have lived. We used extensive online database searches as well as old-fashioned shoe-leather work in our investigation over the past 2 1/2 weeks.'

Sounds like nothing can get in the way of a good liberal story. DGE was one of the Bee's most liberal columnists.
"I did nothing wrong, but could not fully prove that to The Bee. My gratitude also to the thousands of people who let me into their lives. I loved telling your stories."

Yea, people love to tell stories Diana, except when the people you write about don't exist, they call it fiction.

Hats off to Rick Rodriguez for throwing out the trash.

No comments: