Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Like a preacher on a bridge.

I think the line was by George Gobal, "I feel like the world is a tuxedo and I am a pair of brown shoes."

I had the privilege to officiate the wedding of my best friend and his lovely bride this past weekend. It took place on a small bridge over the creek on the most beautiful day we have had in while. I thought it may have been much warmer than it turned out to be, so I made the ceremony short, about 10 minutes total. When we were done, pictures taken and made it back to the Grange hall for the reception, I was met by many of my friends. I was a bit taken back by the reception I received. Most of the people congratulated me on the ceremony, but didn't know I was a Christian.

Most folks around these parts who know me, know I don't drink much, and try not to curse, but I feel I have not done a good job evangelizing to them. Most of my friends are good people. The kind of friends you could call at 3:00 am and ask them to drive 100 miles to pick you up if you had become stranded. However I can't think of one that attend church any regular basis. That may be partly because our local churches are very small and seem to be attended by mostly seniors. I don't know how welcome they would feel there.

I came from a great church in Granite Bay, near Sacramento, called Bayside Church. I was there when we held services at the high school gym. Recently, Bayside built a new church and is growing at a phenomenal rate. The differences in the local Presbyterian church and Bayside are night and day. The outreach ministries at Bayside are very dynamic, they have a ministry for almost everyone. The local church is limited by funding and the lack volunteers. I would like to see more of my friends and neighbors go to church, not because they should, but because they want to. I am not sure how to accomplish that goal or if it my place to try.

I still question if my friends would go to Bayside if were five minutes from their houses. The old adage of leading a horse to water comes to mind. It may be enough for me to share my story and my faith. For people who never think of God or that he might have a purpose for them on this earth, just getting them to think about God would be a good start.

My friend told me today that his grand daughter asked him if I was like a preacher in a church, he said no. He is like a preacher on a bridge.

The Lord does indeed move in mysterious ways.

No comments: