Thursday, May 19, 2005

Just when I was getting back to the happy nice guy I usually am.

Driving home today I listened to Hugh talk about Indra Nooyi, the President and C.O.O of Pepsi Co, and her remarks given at a commencement speech at Columbia University. I was stunned.

"This analogy of the five fingers as the five major continents leaves the long, middle finger for North America, and, in particular, The United States. As the longest of the fingers, it really stands out. The middle finger anchors every function that the hand performs and is the key to all of the fingers working together efficiently and effectively. This is a really good thing, and has given the U.S. a leg-up in global business since the end of World War I. However, if used inappropriately – just like the U.S. itself - the middle finger can convey a negative message and get us in trouble. You know what I’m talking about. In fact, I suspect you’re hoping that I’ll demonstrate what I mean. And trust me, I’m not looking for volunteers to model. Discretion being the better part of valor...I think I’ll pass. What is most crucial to my analogy of the five fingers as the five major continents, is that each of us in the U.S. – the long middle finger – must be careful that when we extend our arm in either a business or political sense, we take pains to assure we are giving a hand...not the finger. Sometimes this is very difficult. Because the U.S. – the middle finger – sticks out so much, we can send the wrong message unintentionally. Unfortunately, I think this is how the rest of the world looks at the U.S. right now. Not as part of the hand – giving strength and purpose to the rest of the fingers – but, instead, scratching our nose and sending a far different signal."

She makes in excess of 8 million dollars a year. 8 Million dollars buys lots of things, it should also preclude you from making stupid political comments. What is she thinking? She works for Pepsi Cola, the 5th largest food and beverage company in the world. You know who buys a lot of their product? Americans. The middle finger of the world.

On Pepsi's worldwide code of conduct statement is says " There's only one way to hold together a company so big and diverse - through trust, shared values, common goals and consistent standards of conduct "

Seems to me that Indra Nooyi doesn't trust, or share the same values as the nation that allows her to prosper under it's freedom and protection.

That's a shame, I like Pepsi, my father-in-law is a retired route driver for Frito-Lay, a Pepsi Co subsidiary. I know there are literally thousands of hard working, dedicated employees who work for Pepsi. I don't want to effect them in a negative way, however I am not buying any of their products until Ms. Nooyi is either fired or goes on Good Morning America and begs forgiveness. I think her non-apology is a hastily written statement by the Pepsi lawyers.
Unfortunately, my remarks at Columbia University were misconstrued and depicted in a different context as unpatriotic. Although nothing could be further from the truth, I regret any confusion or concern that I may have inadvertently created. As I shared with the audience at Columbia, this country that I am proud and honored to call home is a “promised land” that I love dearly. I would never say or do anything to detract from our great nation and its people who have done so much for so many, including myself.

Misconstrued? Not Hardly. That Ms, Nooyi is a load of Bravo Sierra.

No comments: