Monday, December 25, 2006

I gained 3 pounds, and that was just last night.

I am stuffed, still.

Last night we attended the 4:30 Christmas service at Bayside, what a show. Many folks don't like the high end production value given to such a celebration, but for those folks, there are many church services that are very formal, stick with the message and little else. To each his own. I have felt the Lord's presence in the smallest of churches and when I am by myself especially. I don't see anything wrong in making a Christmas Eve service enjoyable to the masses, especially the teenagers and young adults, they are the people who will grow God's church when I am pushing up daisies. If they want to see a great music show and slick power point presentations to stay interested and in touch, that's what we need to do as a congregation.

Lincoln Brewster and his band were fantastic, they played a little Trans Siberian Orchestra set with dual lead guitars and both Lincoln and the other lead guitarists can bend the string on a Stratocaster. Along with the upbeat music, they had a soloist sing Oh Holy Night, and other Christmas favorites. Great, just great.

The message came from Pastor Ray, it was funny at times, especially when he played the 'grace' scene from The Ballad of Ricky Bobby on the big screens, as well as poignant and touching. Bayside had 17,000 people attend Christmas services over four days, that is reaching out to your community.

As we shuffled out to make room for the next service, we were early as we made our way to Black Angus. We had 6:30 reservations but we arrived at quarter to six, however they did get us seated and we had a huge dinner. I know, I know, I don't need a huge dinner, I could probably go without dinner for a year, but that is another story. I am so freakin' stuffed, 18 hours later, that I probably won't each dinner at the in-laws. Or maybe I will, honey baked ham rules!

Christmas was great, the kids received more gifts from our friends than we bought them. It looks as though Santa's sleigh, crashed through our roof and half of his bag spilled all over our living room. We could make a bonfire that could be seen from space if we lit the wrapping paper and boxes in the pasture. My favorite present was the Cabelas long sleeve shirts. I am not sure who makes them, but I have a good quality shirt from them that has lasted 15 years or more. I gave my wife a pair of flannel lined jeans, she loves them.

So this Christmas is in the books and it was good one, any year the family is healthy and together is a good one.

No comments: