Friday, December 22, 2006

Traditions and good friends

I am looking forward to some time off. I am not going to get out of bed until 9:00 tomorrow. I will be awake at 5:30, but I am not getting up. My wife can send in the dog, both kids and the USC marching band to dislodge me from my pillow top California Kingsize bed, but her effort will be in vain. I am sleeping in.

My wife as not a morning person, she sleeps 9 hours a day and would sleep 10 if she could. I am finding that I don't need as much sleep as I once did, six or seven hours is adequate. It is rare that my wife is up before I am, and heaven forbid that I sleep if she is stirring.

Of all the great things that we are doing this Christmas season, I am really looking foreword to a few of them. Sunday's Christmas Eve service at Bayside In Granite Bay with the whole family will be great, going down to see my Grandmother will be special too. The other event I am really looking foreword to is spending Tuesday shooting with my friend.

When I was single, one my favorite things to do was to spend an entire day just shooting and talking about life with my friends. We would pack a lunch, and load up the truck, driving around until we found the right spot. We would spend hours and hundreds of rounds of ammunition just keeping the squirrel population in check. We talked about life, women, politics and our futures. Those were good times and great friends. Some of them have moved away and others I haven't kept up with as much as I should, but I still have a small circle of close friends that I enjoy spending time with.

Of all the blessings I have in my life, good friends to share my triumphs and tribulations with are so important to me. If you have read this blog for any amount of time you could figure out that I am outgoing and an easy person to get along with, and you would be right for the most part. Although I have many people I consider friends, I have a very few that I talk to about the real important matters in my life. To have that person who will listen to you and then tell you the truth, not just what you want hear, is priceless.

I am truly fortunate to have a loving family and very good friends in my life. I am aware that is not the case in many homes in my community and throughout our nation. If I could wish a Christmas wish for everyone, it would be to know those two things.

No comments: