Saturday, December 09, 2006

Yolo Cowboy's bolt action rifle and revolver emporium

I need another rifle like Cindy Sheehan needs a bad haircut. With this in mind, I still want another blot action rifle. A .223 Remington for varmint shooting would fit in nice to my collection. With all the calibers I own, I do have a gap between my 22 rimfires and my .243 Winchester. Although my favorite varmint slayer is my M1 Garand.

Some folks think I am soft in the head to be hurling such a large amount of lead at a ground squirrel, I say poppycock. I have spent a day shooting 405 grain cast bullets at all types of small critters from my Winchester 45-70 takedown. With such recoil and rather marginal ballistic performance, a true varmint gun would be more efficient and cost much less per round sent down range.

I would like to have another VZ24 Mauser converted for this rifle but the bolt face is to large for the .223. I may look into a light weight rifle rather than go after the heavy barreled versions that varmint shooters prefer. My varmint shooting is more mobile than stationary, so a Remington model Seven should be a good fit. I have many Remington rifles and they all shoot well, two shoot exceptionally well.

I am actually not looking for any revolvers at the moment. I always have an eye out for a good buy on Smith and Wesson Classic Hunters in 44 Remington Magnum. I think the 8 3/8" Classic I have is the one handgun I love to shoot the most. I would like to have a 6" to carry. I am always looking for Colt Government or Combat commander 45's. I don't have a lot of extra cash to spend on firearm acquisitions at the time, but one can always dream.

1 comment:

Cowgirl said...

Nice guns, Yolo Cowboy