Friday, September 28, 2007

Guns & Roses, Sammy Hagar and Metallica

What do they have in common?

I just bought them all, again.

The Guns and Roses Greatest Hits is G&R as it should be, Slash wailing on his goldtop Les Paul and Axle screeching and growling. C'mon kids, play nice and get back together.

Sammy Hagar is the first rock concert I remember going to. I have been a fan of the red rocker since he sang on top of his red Trans Am on stage at the Redding Civil Auditorium many, many moons ago. Nothing fancy, not a lot depth in the lyrics, just some old fashioned three chord progression rock and roll. Whats wrong with that?


Metallica is a group it took a while for me to warm up to. I saw them as part of 'Day on the green" at the Oakland Colosseum back in the mid 80s and to tell the truth I wasn't impressed. The sound system was terrible for the speed metal they played back then, it just all turned to white noise in an outdoor venue. But I did see them with Cliff on bass. My son is discovering the early Metallica stuff, fast, aggressive and right in your face. Whada you lookin at cupcake?


I know I am supposed to be a cowboy and stick with country and nothing but country music, but when I dropped the needle on the first Van Halen album, I was hooked. I still love Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Marty Robbins, but sometimes you just want to beat on the steering wheel of your car, banging your head and rocking out.....in a safe manner with you seat belt on and your hands at ten and two, never exceeding the speed limit.

I hope the folks at church don't read my blog, I may have some explaining to do.

No comments: