Thursday, September 13, 2007

Holly cow, what have I got myself into!

Or better yet, what has my mother-in-law got me into?

At the last church service my mother-in-law was moved to volunteer our small group Bible study for the task of cooking a pre-game meal for the High School Football team. We just received word that the would love to have us cook a meal for them,,,,tomorrow at 3:45. Spaghetti and salad for 50!

As Steve Irwin would say, Crikey!

So I will try to ask for an early time off tomorrow and I hope we haven't jumped in over our heads. It wouldn't be the first time, but serving the Lord should be messy and a little crazy. If it goes smooth and requires little effort, where is the service in that?

1 comment:

Walt Lucas said...

Update!

Well, I couldn't take off early from work so we decided to take the quicker route and go with pizza, salad, fruit and some goodies for desert. My wife and her parents stepped up today and made this happen. I showed up just in time to pick up the fruit and pizzas.

The boys ate like, well, like a football team. 12 large pizzas gone, twenty bananas, thirty apples and huge bowl of salad were devoured in short order.

Our Pastor John gave a short but uplifting message to the team and the they were more than gracious to us for serving the pre-game meal.

I don't know if it will make much of a difference in the final score of tonight's game, but if we reach out to just one young man and spark an interest in developing his spiritual life, that is reward enough.