Monday, March 10, 2008

Client 9 - Spitzer, will he go into 'bunker mentality' mode?

I remember exactly where I was when I heard the a news anchor on KFBK read the through the Starr reports lowlights of Monica Lewinski's sexual affair with President Bill Clinton. I was driving home from a jobsite on Highway 99 North around Modesto, and I remember thinking, there is no way President Clinton can survive this scandal. Having sex with a 22 year old intern in the White House? Blue cocktail dresses and cigars, all the creepy details of the affair were out for all the word to see.

No way he stays on as President of the United States. No freakin' way.

I was wrong.

Never underestimate the power of the media to rally around one of their own after the initial shock of the story wears off.

I wonder if Eliot Spitzer will hunker down and try to ride this one out too? Don't think its possible? Ever wonder what happened to Larry 'wide stance' Craig? He is still a Senator from Idaho, you and I are still paying his salary. He had the good judgment not run for re election but it still gets me a little riled up that I will paying his retirement pension for years to come.

From most of the talking heads I listened to today, it seems that Spitzer has built his career on ruthlessness and political backstabbing from the time he was AG of New York until today as the Governor. His list of friends may get short very quickly as everyone Spitzer has stepped on, and destroyed on his way to the top starts plucking chickens and boiling tar for his descent back down.

Not being involved in New York politics, I can only assume that 'couldn't have happened to a nicer guy' is being toasted around the trendy bars of Manhattan tonight.

I feel for his family, as a political spouse, it comes with the territory, but the kids can't pick their parents.

No comments: