Saturday, March 15, 2008

Guitar Hero, bringing back old school Rock n Roll

I will get this out of the way first, I am not a big fan of video games. Of all the things children should be doing, sitting on the floor with a bag of Cheetos, their faces frozen with an a expression of concentration reserved for bomb squad technicians, is not high on my list. If left to their own schedules, most children would spend two thirds of their day bouncing between the refrigerator and the some sort of electronic media input device. Hey, the good Lord made a really cool thing way back when, its called the earth, go check it out. Run on its surface, dig into it, hike to the top of the hills on it, or just lay on your back and let the warmth of the sun shine on your face. Its what kids were meant to do.

With that being said, I have to admit one of the very small positives from the gaming world is Guitar Hero. Where else would a thirteen year old listen to ZZ Top, Carlos Santana, Foghat, The Clash, Lynard Skynard or Cream? Sure there are many new songs on Guitar Hero 2 and GH3, but its pretty cool that they still mix in some oldies and great songs from the 90s as well.

I may ask my son to bring out the PS2 into the living room tonight and challenge my wife to a guitar battle. We are both terrible and if we get through a song on the 'easy' setting without being booed off the stage, its a major accomplishment. I try to keep my competitive emotions in check, but kicking your wife's butt playing "I want to rock n roll all night" is sweet.

A week of kissing up to her is worth the thrill of ending the song in your best 'power stance' and shouting " I freakin' rock!"

Maybe Guitar Hero isn't a positive after all.

No comments: