Saturday, December 20, 2008

I love the 1980's, Cowboy style.

If it's too loud, you're too old. I used to say this in my teenage years, now I am on the receiving end of this axiom. Tonight, I am heading down to Oakland to see Metallica on their Death Magnetic tour. This may turn out to be a mistake of epic proportions, but it could also be a heck of a lot of fun.

The last time I saw Metallica the year was 1985. Of all the people in the arena tonight, I will be one of the few Metallica fans in attendance who saw the original bassist Cliff Burton play. Day on the Green 1985 was pretty freakin' awesome. I was disappointing in Metallica's sound that day, an outdoor venue like that isn't the best forum for speed metal. The sound bouncing around the Colosseum turned the driving attack and speed of Ride the Lightning into a fuzzy mush of sound. Too bad.

My son Steven has since taken up the Metallica banner and is a much bigger fan that I ever was. He has all the albums, all of them, and knows the music, history and gear better than anyone. This will be our second concert together, I hope we get through it unscathed.

No comments: