Tuesday, February 05, 2008

No election night blogging for this cowboy.

All eyes are on the returns tonight, my attention is focussed on music. I just changed the strings on my acoustic guitar. I don't swap string very often, mainly because I don't play as much as I should. Some guys who play all the time change strings once a month, some every two weeks. I change my strings every years or so. If the start feeling muddy or lose their brightness, I'll get a shiny new set.

Being a beginner, picking strings seems like standing in front of a wall books written in Chinese. Musician's Friend sells 422 types of acoustic strings alone. Bronze, Phosphorus, Nickel, Light,Medium, Coated, the options seem endless. That is why I usually go to a music store and ask someone what they play and why. So I dropped by Watermelon Music in Davis after work and started asking.

The set I bought were Elixir Nanoweb Light Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings. I paid three bucks more, but I didn't have to bother with shipping and heck, if you ask someone for their opinion about something, you should buy the product there. That is my thought anyway.

The Gore coating feels a little strange, but I'll keep tuning it tonight to let the strings settle in, and see how they sound.

No comments: