Friday, February 15, 2008

Saddle up

As one gets older (read me) you don't feel the same about potentially dangerous endeavors the way you once did.

When I was in my twenties, I was darn close to being fearless. When I went skiing with buddies, I'd try anything. A double black diamond run? Lets go. Riding a rank horse? Saddle it up.

My fearless time frame also coincided with my drinking days, and believe me when I say, when fearless meets alcohol, trouble is right around the corner. I once challenged everyone in The Palomino Room during Bull Sale weekend to see who was tougher. There must have been 200 drunken cowboys in the place that night, and thank the good Lord that no one took me up on my offer.

That seems like a very long time ago. Today I am basically a whus. I don't like riding green horses or two stroke motorcycles. My idea of danger today is drinking milk three days past its expiration date. When I think about buying a new two year old horse and breaking him, I remember my father words quite well. He said, 'you know, there are a lot of broke horses in this world, go buy one'. Words to live by.

I am heading out Sunday to do a little riding with my friend and I hope the horse I will be riding is having a good day when I swing my leg over her back. Oh, I would probably stay on board if she gave a few crow hops and bucked a few times, but if she boggs her head and really turns it on, I will end up in a pile on the ground.

I don't bounce near as well as I used to, as a matter of fact, I don't think I bounce at all. I would probably just leave a small crater.

When I was younger, I would get pitched off a horse or do six backwards, tumbling somersaults on the ski slopes, I would take a few aspirin and be back at work the next day. Either one of those events today would land me in intensive care for a month.

I still enjoy riding my horses and my ATV's . On a rare occasion, I will still do something dangerous/foolish. I guess I won't jump in my casket just yet, I think I have a few more good spills left in me. I just want to save a few for my fifties and sixties.

No comments: