Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Buggy whip makers and the Main Stream Media

In 5 years my son will ask me, how did you get your news before the Internet?
I will tell him that when I was young, you had to wait until 5:00 and tune into the network news. We lived in a very rural area where we were fortunate to receive three channels of television with no daily newspaper service. I grew up believing whatever Walter Cronkite and his fellow anchors said was the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I know better now.

Cronkite wants a crackdown on this Internet thing. 'I am dumbfounded that there hasn’t been a crackdown with the libel and slander laws on some of these would-be writers and reporters on the Internet. I expect that to develop in the fairly near future.' How about CBS News Walter!

The mainstream media is the frog in the pot slowly heading towards the rolling boil that will kill them. The water gets warmer, the bias gets stronger, the people turn the channel and cancel their subscriptions, get out the tarter sauce or whatever you eat with frog legs, because it's dinner time.

The bloggeshere and cable news will soon be the first option for news. The mainstream journalists are so close to the people that make the news, especially liberal politicians, that they cannot separate cold hard facts from their common view of the world.


Take the case of the Times reporter allegedly tipping off a terrorist front group that the Feds were going to raid them. I can't help but wonder where this man's allegiance lies? Does he have an allegiance to the United States, the country that makes his profession possible? He must think that as an "objective journalist" he does cannot have such a thing. After all, we are all humans, no one better than the other, no country better than another. That my friend is the problem, tied up in neat little package.

Is America always right, no.
Is America the best hope for freedom and democracy in the world today? Absolutely.

For every American backed dictator you want to point to as proof that America is evil, I will point to the worldwide threat from Nazi Germany, Soviet Communism that we defeated. I will point to the fact that today, right now, poor and repressed people around the world are packing all they own in a sack and trying to get to this great country.

The mainstream media is far too "intelligent" to fall for this simplistic approach of national pride.

Tomorrow at the Presidential debate, I hope the moderator asks President Bush if he thinks that America is loosing its credibility in the world. I know what I would like him to say.

"No, this Nation is responsible for the freedom of most of the countries on this planet. We are the last best hope of mankind. Next question."

No comments: