Saturday, June 11, 2005

Cinderella Man, four stars.

I had the chance today to watch Cinderella Man. Even if Russell Crowe threw a phone booth at an hotel employee, it does not detract from the wonderful story of James Braddock. When I hear people talk about twenty percent of children go to bed hungry in America, I have to ask if they really want to say that children are starving in our country. This film depicts the depression in a very real way, through the eyes of one family who seemed to have a good life going for them and had it all evaporate in two years.

Braddock did not turn to a life of crime, he did not protest and smash windows or burn cars, he kept on working. He had to swallow his pride and ask for charity from his friends and former boxing associates and sign up for Relief to keep the lights and heat turned on. What an incredible story, it almost makes me ashamed to complain about any apparent wrong I suffer or bad break I endure.

How lucky we are.

No comments: