Friday, June 03, 2005

An American in Paris

Priscilla Laliss is an American living in Paris or was in November 2004. Here is her story.

Ah, I can still feel it now. It was 1999 and I'd just arrived in Paris. Bill Clinton was President of the United States and France and the U.S. were still best friends. When I spoke with my American accent people asked me if I were British. I'd get annoyed and say No, I'm American! I meant no offence toward the British. I was just proud of my American heritage.

For almost two years I've been walking around Paris hoping no one would ask me if I'm American - half praying that they'd think I'm British again. I'm no longer wearing my Old Navy tee-shirt on American holidays. I've delicately put my flags in a safe place, and I tell my husband to speak to me only in French when we're out in public. I've taken these drastic measures not because I'm ashamed of being an American, but rather because I can't explain to French people why Americans went to Iraq, why President Bush might even get re-elected, or why the price of oil is more important than the price of a baguette.

I am shocked that Mrs.Laliss did tell the Parisians that you would still be living under the Third Riche, or eventually Soviet communism if it wasn't for the United States. I don't know where her lack of history comes from, but she must be a product of our public schools. As for her assertion that it was all about the price of oil, that's laughable, have you seen the price of crude oil? For more on that check out a post from last year.

As for why we went Iraq, the WMD intelligence was wrong. Not only the US, but 30 other countries though Saddam had a working WMD program. Two of those countries were his Arab neighbors. We were wrong, but we are there now, and no amount of hand wringing and protests will change that. We must win, if the President looses this war, we die, yes that includes you in the blue states. Now how about quit your complaining and help us win.

No comments: