Thursday, June 09, 2005

Things a guy should know how to do. Part one

From time to time I think about things. I know that is a dangerous proposition for a guy with little higher learning, but in any case, I was reading something today that made me think about what we know how to do. In a functional way, what can we do as average people living in America today?

I am sure that any list put together must be geographically unique, it make sense that a 40 year old man that lives in Waverly, Iowa must have a different skill set that a 40 year old man from Manhattan. I will only speak for men in this post since I am one.

So here is my first list of "Things a man should know how to do to in America".
  1. Shoot a rifle with competence.
  2. Know basic first-aid and CPR.
  3. Start a fire without matches.
  4. Read
  5. Drive a car with a manual transmission.
  6. Defend yourself.
  7. Swim.
  8. Jump start a car.
  9. Sew.
  10. Cook.
I know that these skills seem very rural and low-tech for some of you, but keep this in mind, if the lights ever go out for a year, or you get run off a snow covered road, down an embankment and are stuck there for a week. Or find yourself in a desperate situation, these kinds of things can save your life.

I will head you off at the pass with #9.
Sewing up a wound or repairing a sail could be the difference between living and assuming room temperature.

Feel free to add yours to the list.
I will have other list to follow, including top ten thing you should know how to do with - women, (get your mind out of the gutter Moos), in the City, when dealing with dishonest people and others as they come to mind.

No comments: