Sunday, June 26, 2005

I man, a message and a moment of decision.

Seeing the coverage of what will be Billy Graham's last crusade in the US, I cannot help but recall my experience. I was fourteen when I accepted Christ as my savior. I was taken by my friend to church that summer in Palo Cedro California. The church was called Little Country Church, at the time services were held at the local school gym and were very casual. Shorts and t-shirts were the dress code and all were welcome. I raised my hand and started down the path, it has been a steep and rocky path at times. The first few steps were easy, the next few years, as I became more independent, became very difficult. The path would have been much easier to follow with a guide and encouragement. It tried to do it on my own and that was a mistake.

I say this not to speak of myself, but to illustrate the way that Billy Graham's crusade works. When you raise your hand and walk down to the alter call, you are met by someone who gives you a few words of encouragement and takes down your information. In the next few days there will be a follow up calls from a local church to help the new Christian find a spiritual home.

I read the Times piece on Graham's crusade, the author tries his best to find slick marketing and a alternate motive. When journalists look at some one like Graham and try to find the 'real man' not just the public persona, they are in for a surprise. Graham is the real deal. In a world where the secular opinion of Christians is based on the Jim Bakers and Jimmy Swaggarts, a man like Graham is hard to believe. No scandals, no out of wedlock children, he seems to be just what he says he is, a man sent to spread the word of God to the world.

Billy Graham says he is a sinner, just the same as any Christian. I would like to think a man with the faith Graham's would somehow be removed from temptation and a sinful nature. The reason why Graham's message resonates so well with people is his honesty about our sinful nature. Very refreshing, a honest man with a honest message.

No comments: