Sunday, June 12, 2005

How big is your world?

We had a guest speaker at church this morning from Larry Martin VP of Education at International Justice Mission. Mr. Martin started his comments with a reference to our world and how big it is. He said that when he gets up in the morning he is concerned about himself. He goes on to say, on a good day he concerns himself with his family, and on a very good day he might concern himself with people he knows and people he likes or people who like him. That was said tongue in cheek, but he also reminded us that world view is all too common in our country, our community and our church.

How many days do I wake up and think only of myself? Even when I think about my family, I find myself thinking about how their situation effects me, not what may be best for them. You could sum this type of myopic view of your surroundings as selfish and I don't think that would be too far from the truth. Being selfless is not something we value so highly as a society anymore. Sure we say 'good for you' when we read about someone doing great work for their community or cause, but we don't take the time to reflect on what we can do. More importantly, we seldom think that there is anything we should do.

Today, as I look forward to summer and all the distractions that come with it, I want to find places where I can make a difference. It may be finding a youth group that needs help one night a week, or a senior center where I can volunteer. If I can enlarge my world from the guy in the mirror to my family and then my community, maybe one day I can look out on the world with a new view.

A selfless view.

No comments: