Friday, June 24, 2005

The only credible opponent to victory.

As I look at the recent discussion about the war in Iraq, I find myself trying to determine if there is any entity on earth that could defeat the American Military. I have found two, the extreme left of the Democratic party and the Main Stream Media. These two forces must act as allies for their goals to be met, the goals being the political defeat of George W Bush at any price and a vastly reduced American Military power. I will call them 'The Axis of Self Loathing".

As you hear the left and the MSM punditry declare an official "Quagmire" in Iraq, they are planting the seeds of an anti-war, anti-Bush crop that hope will flourish and be ready to harvest by November 2006 or at least by 2008. By constantly comparing the war on terror with the war in Vietnam, the far left is hoping that the American public will grow tired of the conflict and want to bring our service men and women home. As we get farther removed from the anger and determination that followed September 11th, the 'ASL' are betting on the public getting bored with war on terror, especially in Iraq. I am betting they won't.

America wants to see progress in Iraq, something that gets very limited coverage from the MSM, and is totally ignored by the left. I read my favorite Iraqi blogs and wonder how many in this nation know what is happening on the ground in Iraq. I am certain the number is very low. Not quite 40, I wonder if there were Americans during the battle of the bulge in 44 who thought that we should bring our troops home, the war is being terrible mismanaged and too many of our boys were being killed in a country that had never attacked us? I think there must have been. Pacifists have been around where ever there is conflict.

As I say and will keep saying, war is a terrible thing, but there is something much worse, loosing a war. Pulling our troops out and coming home will lead to wholesale slaughter in Iraq, a three way civil war and a much stronger Iran and Syria. The Iranian Shai will be fighting the Syrian Baathiss and both will be fighting the Kurds for control of Iraq's oil. Who ever wins, we loose.

There is no other course of action for the US. We must stay, fight and win. Even when Iraq has a suitable military and police force, we will have active bases there, just like we have in Germany and Japan.

No comments: