Friday, August 05, 2005

Alcohol U , I think I did my undergrad work there.

All first-time freshmen at Chico State will be required this fall to complete an online alcohol abuse prevention course.
I visited Chico State as a senior in High School during 'Pioneer Days' back in the 80s, back before I knew better. I thought it would be a great place to go to college. Wow, it was like Animal House ran by Caligula. I remember watching drunken students carry couches from the frat houses and pile them in the street for a bon fire. I guess Chico State is trying to clean up it's image as a party school. Good for them, anything to prevent another drinking induced tragedy. Kids will drink and over drink, I don't know if education is the answer, but it can't hurt.
Of the 392 students who took AlcoholEdu for Sanctions last year, 17 percent said they were well educated about alcohol and its effects prior to taking the course. After completing the course, 40 percent said they were

Positive peer pressure would be better, but unrealistic.

No comments: