Monday, August 22, 2005

The Great Raid - a great lesson

I know that Hugh has been all over this, but I want to throw in my two pennies.
As a film, I give it an overall B-. The back story of the love interests slows down the pace at times and the film never fully develops the characters of the raiders.

As a story that needs to be told, I give it a A.

Here is the perfect example of the Japanese culture at the time. A culture that embraced violence to achieve it's goal of regional domination. The Japanese were extremely brutal to those they captured or defeated. The death rate of POWs held by the Japanese is close to 30%. That is staggering when you consider that the death rate for Americans under German capture is 4%. My point is that if you looked at the culture of the Japanese in 1942, you could easily surmise that they will never change and America could never turn this nation into a democracy. You would be wrong

The reason that Japan is a democracy today, and the reason they avoid military confrontation at all costs is the four generations that have instructed their children that war is a terrible thing.

I want every terrorist's mother in the middle east to teach their children that if you attack America, you will bring death and ruin to your homeland. You can't do that with half measures in a 'sensitive' war. You can't do that by cutting and running home. You must destroy them.

I would also like the next generation of Iraqis to teach their children about the how the US gave them back their country.

No comments: