Saturday, November 17, 2007

Fence building 101

Start with a stack of 4" well drilling pipe about the size of an Escalade, two pallets of concrete sacks, a half a mile of string, a tractor with a post hole digging attachment (yes that is cheating, and no I am not apologizing) a magnetic level, a cutting torch and a portable welder, 1,000 t-posts, 6,000 feet of 60" woven mesh wire and you have the basic ingredients for my fence.

I have been working on this for a while and I have almost all the pipe in the ground for my corner and gate posts. As luck would have it, my friend had some spare time at work while they refit the plant and he has a portable welder. He has been busy welding the cross bracing on my corner posts and gate posts. He will catch up to me by next week, so today my son and I laid out the long run on the side of my main pasture. I now have another 30 posts to set in concrete on the long side and another 16 on the back side.

After all the steel pipe in welded and ready to for pulling, that is when the fun starts. Banging in the t-posts is my least favorite part of fence building. If you have ever woke up in the middle of the night with your hands numb and tingling, you know what I am talking about. After the t-posts, its time for the 60" woven field fence.

Wish me luck, I should be done by April. If I don't buy a condo and forget the country life by then. Maybe I can sell my cows and buy a labradoodle and start hanging out at the free trade coffee shops listening to 'progressive' music while I read the latest issue of The New Republic.

Probably not, see you in April.

No comments: