Saturday, January 12, 2008

Ah, to be a Freshman again

Freshman year of high school has to be one of the strangest times growing up. Not quite a kid any longer and definitely not an adult. Stuck in the middle of thinking about having fun with your friends and thinking about the opposite sex. Somehow or another, girls started looking different and I noticed that they smelled nice the summer before my freshman year.

I started to really listen to the music I was listening to and I started thinking about what I wanted to do with my life, not that I had a clue about what I wanted to do, but I started thing about it.

Fun times? Absolutely.
Scary times? Yes. I have to admit that the thought of leaving my tiny country school to attend the 'huge' high school with 1,200 kids scared me quite a bit. Looking back, I'm not sure why, high school was blast.

Which brings me to this morning.

I was serenaded last night by three freshman, my son and his two friends, playing every Metallica song they know on guitars and bass. They rented 'Balls of Fury" and are now settling down to watch it after breakfast and a short session of ATV riding around the barn. My wife and I are trying to keep our daughter out of their way, she loves the commotion and rough and tumble world of three teenagers playing, my son thinks she is ruining all their fun.

Never having a younger sister I imagine that having her hang around your friends when they visit makes it hard to be 'cool'. If I remember right, being 'cool' was very high up on the list of things to be when I was a freshman too.

I also rented a movie or two to combat this assault on my sanity. Last night I watched '3:10 to Yuma', I am glad I didn't pay $10 to see it in the theater. I give it a C-. Tonight my wife and I will watch 'The Kingdom'. I hope its better.

No comments: