Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Knowing what you know now, would you want to roll the dice?

I just had a fascinating discussion in my small group Bible study about the way we view our lives. Well, at least I find it fascinating, it might bore you to tears.

I hear people all the time talk about how they would do things differently if they had the chance, or if they had just done this instead of that, their lives would be much better. We were sitting around after our study and chatting when we got on the subject of where you are in your life. I said that I wouldn't change anything in my life because I'm pretty happy with where I am right now.

I have a great family, nice home, I have my health, and I am pretty content at where I am in this journey through life. Don't get me wrong, I have had many low points. I had many disappointments, suffered great loss, found myself miserable not knowing what would happen next, and at times and been so broke I couldn't pay attention. But looking back, everything I went through, brought me to this point in time. Would I like to have arrived here without so many of the heart aches? I'm not sure, we learn a lot through our trials and through our suffering, it isn't pleasant, sometimes you don't think you will make it through, but you do.

I am also just as confident that I will soon face more adversity and heart ache. I am not looking forward to it, not at all, but it's coming and there is no stopping it. I hope I learn from each of them and become a better person because of it.

Maybe your life is a mess right now, maybe you're at the lowest point you have ever experienced. I feel for you. I may not know what you are going through, or the pain you are feeling, but I hope it stops and I hope you make it through today, then another day, then another.

My point is, if you asked me right at the lowest point of my life if I would like to roll the dice, to change my life and not have to go through this pain, I may have said yes.

That would have been a big mistake. I wouldn't be right here, right now, and right here, right now is just fine with me.

No comments: